Capital Area Dental Foundation
We believe a healthy smile has the power to transform lives. Because of your generous support of our efforts, we have been able to deliver life-changing care to hundreds of individuals in need throughout Central Texas. In this report, you will learn about the impact we have been able to make because of your partnership. On behalf of Capital Area Dental Foundation (CADF) leadership, volunteers and staff, we greatly appreciate your contribution.
Date of project: September 8, 2018 and November 17, 2018
How funds were spent: Funding was utilized to activate multiple dental offices on two separate days (September 8th and November 17th, 2018). Funds were used to purchase permanent and disposable dental supplies, a patient scheduling tool, volunteer recruitment supplies, and support other program-related staff time.
- With the contribution of these funds, we treated over 330 individuals and delivered more than $154,000 in dental care. This initiative treated immediate needs, with a focus on preventive education and helping patients find a dental home for future care.
Summary of Project
The CADF Community Dental Days focused on the following objectives:
- Educate the community about the importance of oral health, particularly as it relates to overall health and well-being.
- Facilitate the connection between patients and dentists in order to not only meet their urgent are needs, but also encourage the patient's ability to find a consistent dental home.
- Generate meaningful awareness and community engagement by highlighting the life-changing work being conducted by the broader dental profession.
- Develop mentoring relationships among dental professionals from a broad range of specializations and focus areas.
- Promote the mission of CADF and encourage further volunteer involvement.
CADF Community Dental Days are designed to confront equity and access challenges facing our community and deliver high-quality care to our neighbors in need with a focus on prevention. The care delivered through this program has relieved pain, restored dignity and instilled hope for those that need it most. We are grateful for the opportunity to do our part to create the healthiest community in the country.
Through the generosity of area offices that opened their doors to host Community Dental Day activities, including Round Rock Dental Group, Rose Dental Group and Smile Creations – South Austin, CADF was able to provide convenient access to dental care for diverse patient populations.
We collaborated with non-profits and social services agencies across Central Texas to facilitate treatment to individuals most in need of care. Organizations involved include Breast Cancer Research Center of Austin, LifeWorks, Caritas, Mobile Loaves and Fishes, Family Elder Care, refugee settlement organizations and more.
Through the Community Dental Day initiative, we have cared for 337 patients and delivered more than $154,000 in dental services to uninsured Central Texans. Treatment provided included exams, cleanings, fillings, extractions and preventive education, at no cost to the patients.
Patient and Care Demographics
- Female 45%
- Male 55%
- Asian 24%
- Black, African American 20%
- Hispanic, Latino 20%
- White, Caucasian 16%
- Middle Eastern 10%
- Other, No Response 10%
- 310 Exams
- 305 X-Rays
- 279 Cleanings
- 142 Extractions
- We engage 95 additional CADF volunteers, including dentists, hygienists, assistants and front office staff.
Satisfaction surveys were sent to all participating patients. Feedback from the program was overwhelmingly positive. 97% of patients reported that the Community Dental Day exceeded their expectations. Patient comments included:
“Wonderful set of both doctors and assistants! Went very smoothly and cannot thank the volunteers enough!”
“All was great, you are life-saver for needy families. Thank you very much and I highly appreciate you for your support”
“Great job! I have not been able to afford going to the dentist and have not gone to a dentist sinceI was last in the military over 6 years ago. Please continue to offer this service! Thank you!”
Thank you for your continued efforts to serve others and improve oral health!